1/2 cup white sugar
2-cups coconut milk
coconut cream from 1 grated coconut
Latik for garnish
1. Blend cornstarch and sugar thoroughly in a 1-quart bowl and add 1/4 cup of coco milk.
2. Boil the rest of the coco milk in a 2-quart saucepan.
3. Add the cornstarch-sugar mixture, stirring with a wire whick until it boils.
4. Hold for 2 minutes to attain a cooked flavor of the starch.
5. Pour while hot into two oiled cereal dishes. Cool completely.
6. Cut into pie wedges. Garnish each piece with latik.
7. Serve hot or chilled.
1 cup cooked ube (grated or mashed)
2 cups cornstarch
2 cups thick coconut cream
4 cups thin coconut cream
2 1/2 cups sugar
Latik and budbod
Add sugar to thin coconut cream (4 cups). Add mashed ube and cook over medium heat. Keep stirring while cooking.
After 15 minutes, lower heat and add thick cream with (dissolved) cornstarch. Continue stirring until well blended. Once again, turn heat to high and cook until thick.
Pour in pan or bilao lines with wax paper or banana leaves. Brush maja-ube with coconut milk and sprinkle latik on top. Serve with toasted coconut or budbod.
Note: Add a dash of violet food coloring to higher the color of your Maja-ube.
To make latik: Boil thick cream, then, lower heat and simmer until cream curdles and oil comes out. To produce some latik and oil, stil once or twice only. Cook until latik becomes brown. Drain.
To make budbod: Add 1/2 cup brown sugar to every cup of coconut `sapal` or grated coconut wherein milk was extracted. Cook and toast over low heat until brown.